When it comes to smoke, you really have two problems:
- The Physical Smoke Particles
- Invisible VOC's/Gases/Fumes/Odors
Some air purification technologies that are ideally suited for dust can work on the smoke particles - HEPA Air Cleaners1
and some Electrostatic2
devices. Unfortunately, they have no capacity to remove the gases, fumes and odors. Likewise, the Electrostatic devices get dirty quickly and therefore aren't the most efficient machines for capturing particles either. As a result, people trying these technologies as smoke eaters are often very unhappy with the results.
Other technologies are better at eliminating the smoke gases, fumes and odors. Ultraviolet Air Purifiers3
like the BioZone and Air Oasis air purifiers do a really nice job on the smoke gases, fumes and odors. As a result, many people are pleased with the results because the odors are greatly reduced. If odors are your main concern, Ultraviolet Technology is an excellent way to go. Unfortunately - these UV Technologies don't
remove smoke particles.
The best smoke removal
technologies are capable of handling both the particles as well as the gases and fumes. Our Dynamic Air Cleaner Consoles are our top pick for homes while our SRS Series Filtration5
units are our top recommendation for commercial applications.
The grand daddy of all approaches combines filtration with ultraviolet for the optimal results and the cleanest, safest air. This is what we do for our commercial smoke removal systems. We combine filtration with ultraviolet systems to do a complete job. The same can be done in homes as well. Download our catalogs above for complete product descriptions and pricing.
1. HEPA Air Cleaners – Powered by fans, the HEPA air cleaners push the air through special paper-like glass fiber sheets, pleated in a “V” pattern. These fiber sheets capture all large particles and many of the small ones. However the HEPA filter is not a purifier. It does not have the capability to neutralize the odors in the air.
2. Electrostatic - The force of the air flowing through the filter provides an electrostatic charge. This charge causes the particles such as pollen, molds and dust to stick to the filters. But these filters contain no means to hold in the odors as they pass through them.
3. Ultraviolet – As gaseous micro-organisms in the air pass by the UV rays, their molecular bonds are broken down, resulting in their destruction and eliminating their odors. Yet the airborne particles still remain.
4. The Dynamic Air Cleaners are Polarized - a low voltage charge is applied to the filter and the carbon center to activate the filter - essentially turning the entire filter into a large magnet to attract, capture and hold both the smoke particles and odor.
5. SRS 3 Filter System - Polyester Pre-Filter6, Activated Carbon Filter7 and HEPA Filter8. As the air passes through these (3) three different filters each has a different job to do.
6. Polyester Pre-Filter – catches larger particles such as lint, hair, dust and pollen.
7. Activated Carbon Filter – eliminates gasses and other odors by trapping and absorbing their molecules.
8. HEPA Filter - traps micro-particles-smoke, dust mites, spores, mold, spray paint, ashes and even most viruses.